Diversity on the table
What kind of diversity does there exist in a work community and what kind of phenomena are involved? In the face of diversity, we do not always recognise the needs or preferences of others.
Diversity in work situations
The simulation helps the team understand the kinds of diversity that exist in the work community and engage in a constructive discussion of the related phenomena. Different people are the strength of an organization, and diverse teams have been shown to perform better than homogeneous teams. However, diversity often prevents us from recognizing the needs or preferences of others. As the story progresses through concrete situations, many types of work community diversity are dealt with in a facilitated discussion. The simulation deals with the work of an imaginary consulting firm. Unlike in most of our other simulations, in this simulation the team operates in the work environment. This helps in addressing workplace diversity situations related to workplace practices and rules.
CLAIM 2: Inappopriate chat conversation on ethnic background
Who of you would speak out about an inappropriate chat conversation on ethnic background?
CLAIM 3: Discriminating "jokes" on sexual minorities in the break room
Who of you would speak out about “jokes” in the break room that discriminate against a sexual minority?
CLAIM 4: Nudity in the sauna
Who of you would speak out about the fact that nudity in sauna evening could be disturbing to somebody?
CLAIM 5: Age discrimination
Who of you would interfere in a situation where a person’s age is used inappropriately as a choice criterion?
The simulation brings together various aspects of diversity relevant to the work environment. Sources include the Non-Discrimination Act, the Equality Act, the Centre for Occupational Safety publication Diversity, Non-Discrimination and Equality in the Workplace (2016) and the Equality and Non-Discrimination Survey for Workplaces (The Centre for Occupational Safety, Finland).
- Recognise and understand different aspects of diversity in the work community
- Highlight individual approaches to diversity and reduce the risk of misunderstandings
- Produce neutral discussion openings on diversity
- Make visible the current practices and roles in the team
- Practise intervening and broaching, which are considered key issues in dealing with diversity and inclusion
- Remind supervisors of applicable rules and practices
- Teams of 4-16 persons working together. Also suits temporary teams, project teams and remote teams.
- The duration of the simulation is about 2 hours.
Send us a message!
Visiting address: Åkerlundinkatu 8, Tampere, Finland
Mail address: Nekalantie 28, 33100 Tampere, Finland