Equality at work
What kind of diversity does there exist at workplace and what kind of phenomena are involved? In the face of diversity, we do not always recognize the needs or preferences of others.
Challenging situations at workplace
The simulation helps the team understand the kinds of diversity that exist at workplace and engage in a constructive discussion of the related, sometimes difficult, phenomena such as unconscious discrimination.
Diverse teams are shown to perform better than homogeneous teams., but working together can be more challenging. After all, we live in a world where equality is not fully realized. Own or team’s attitudes towards diversity are not always even recognized. The simulation promotes, through concrete situations, discussion on how we can recognize diversity and intervene in difficult situations.
CLAIM 2: Inappopriate chat conversation on ethnic background
Who of you would speak out about an inappropriate chat conversation on ethnic background?
CLAIM 3: Discriminating "jokes" on sexual minorities in the break room
Who of you would speak out about “jokes” in the break room that discriminate against a sexual minority?
CLAIM 4: Nudity in the sauna
Who of you would speak out about the fact that nudity in sauna evening could be disturbing to somebody?
CLAIM 5: Age discrimination
Who of you would interfere in a situation where a person’s age is used inappropriately as a choice criterion?
The simulation brings together various aspects of diversity relevant to the work environment. Sources include the Non-Discrimination Act, the Equality Act, the Centre for Occupational Safety publication Diversity, Non-Discrimination and Equality in the Workplace (2016) and the Equality and Non-Discrimination Survey for Workplaces (The Centre for Occupational Safety, Finland).
- Provide neutral discussion openings on diversity
- Practise intervening and speaking out, which are considered key issues in dealing with diversity and inclusion
- Recognise and understand different aspects of diversity at workplace
- Highlight individual approaches to diversity and reduce the risk of misunderstandings
- Make visible the current practices and roles in the team
- Teams of 4-16 persons working together. Also suits temporary teams, project teams and remote teams.
- The duration of the simulation is about 2 hours.