Below you will find information and frequently asked questions about the SmoothTeam simulation.
Here you will find some frequently asked questions about the SmoothTeam services together with the answers.
What does the simulation mean for the team in practice?
- First, choose what you want to develop in your team, i.e. what simulation you want to play, and buy the simulation from our online store.
- Choose a facilitator for the discussion. They spend half an hour in advance to familiarize themselves with the game.
- Set aside two hours for your team in video conference or face-to-face. If you wish, you can also set aside a third hour for a joint team practice development discussion.
- Your facilitator will send everyone a link to the simulation.
- To begin, everyone does a self-assessment of less than 10 minutes. You will then take a joint trip to assess the strengths and preferences of your team members.
- The simulation makes visible in a positive and constructive way what each person thinks of themselves and others. Through it, one can find hidden strengths and have a discussion on, for instance, roles in the team.
AFTER THE SIMULATION
- You will receive simple reports about your team. The reports are a summary of the simulation; what is essential in the simulation, however, is the discussion and understanding it creates.
- You discuss the conclusions: what did you learn, what should you change, what should you develop?
WHAT IS REQUIRED FROM TECHNOLOGY
- The simulation works with all common browsers (except Internet Explorer) on both computers and modern smartphones.
When participating in a simulation remotely, everyone must have equipment on which they can do the simulation and use video conferencing at the same time. This means either a computer with two windows side by side, a computer and a mobile device, or two different smart devices.
What does this cost?
See our price list. We have a satisfaction guarantee: if you are not satisfied with the simulation, there is no obligation to pay.
Does SmoothTeam have a research background?
The functionality of the simulations is based on research data, and the variables behind the simulations have been compiled from various studies and literature. Our leading facilitator, Eija Lehtonen, is responsible for SmoothTeam’s research background and scientific basis. Eija is a PhD student and researcher at the University of Tampere and studies the connection between the development of expertise and job satisfaction.
We have also commissioned two master’s theses:
Koskelin, M. (2017). Team development through gamified simulation and its effect on individual ability and team’s transactive memory. Master’s thesis. University of Helsinki.
Nokso-Koivisto, H-R. (2016). Windows for group learning in a gamified exercise: a case study of identifying group roles and developing interaction using a team building tool. Master’s thesis. University of Tampere.
We presented a poster at a network research conference in the Netherlands in 2018:
Nokso-Koivisto, A., Heikkilä, J., & Luoto, L. (2018). SNA data collection through gamification: an example. XXXVII Sunbelt Conference, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
What kind of teams is the simulation for?
The tool best fits teams of 4-16 persons. For larger teams, we recommend going for more than one simulation. The tool is suitable for both remote and local teams. It is not dependent on the content of your work, we have worked with teams from varying backgrounds – for instance with veterinarians, IT-developers and voluntary organizations. Our simulation builds common understanding within the team. It does require that the team members know something about each other, so it is not suitable in the first days of a new team. We recommend waiting for a few weeks of working together to have passed to allow your team the greatest benefit from the simulation. The simulation is not suitable a team undergoing a crisis of some sort or a team with high tensions between team members. In these situations, we recommend guided group development, reconciliation or other methods that highlight the problem and support dealing with it in a sensitive and long-lasting manner. If that is what you need, we are happy to provide you with recommendations on whom to contact.
Can I facilitate the simulation myself and only get the tool from you?
- Yes you can – we also offer our popular tool for direct use by teams.
- If you are an in-house staff developer or facilitator and are interested in running multiple simulations in your organization, you can participate in our training. Please contact us if this interests you.
- If you are a professional facilitator, organization developer, or consultant, participate in our SmoothTeam facilitator’s certification training. After this, you can use SmoothTeam simulations to support your own business. Contact us for more information.
We have a trusted consultant – can they run the simulation? See above. We can provide the consultant with the simulation as well as certification training.
Can I get a free demo?
Get in touch and we’ll be happy to introduce you to the tool! For the actual simulation, we have a satisfaction guarantee: if you were not satisfied with the session, you will get your money back. Our customers have been very satisfied!
What is the functionality of the simulation based on?
Feedback is an essential factor in development. It gives us a realistic idea of our skills, strengths and areas for development. This kind of understanding helps each team member find the role in which their skills are best utilized.
Talking about team members aspirations, strengths, and personal qualities changes the way team members interpret each other’s behavior. With better knowledge, it is possible to avoid misunderstandings and undue tensions while improving the unity of the team and its willingness to cooperate.
According to research, the effectiveness of a team depends on, among other things, trust between members, relationships, a positive atmosphere, team unity, and its transactive memory, that is, the perception among the team of who knows and controls what. These evolve through working together, but SmoothTeam can effectively accelerate their development. With the help of the simulation, the team’s self-knowledge increases and many insights are created to develop the team’s activities.
In the SmoothTeam simulation, the self-assessment of team members is compared to the perceptions and assessments of other team members in a gamified environment. As a result of the exercise, team members and the team leader learn how each team member sees themselves and each other. Through discussions during the exercise, the team is able to find their strengths and areas for development.
Do you provide training in the use of your tool?
Yes! Read more about facilitator certification.
What languages are available?
All our simulations are available in English, Finnish and Swedish, and most are also available in German. If you require a simulation in another language, please contact us.